DANISH BRICK FIRST

Such an impressive space; minimalism, calm serenity… Build by Danish architect Peder Vilhelm Jensen Klint (1853 – 1930) who died before Grundtvig’s Church in Copenhagen was finished. His son architect and designer Kaare Klint (1888-1954), completed the cathedral in 1940. Klint merged the modern geometric forms of Brick Expressionism with the classical vertical of Gothic architecture. He has also designed the wickerwork seat church chairs; a Danish furniture design classic!

CHRISTIAN SECOND

No signs of crosses or paintings of the Virgin Mary or worships of God. Grundtvigs Church was erected in commemoration of the influential Danish priest, poet and reformer N. Grundtvig (1783 – 1882). Grundtvig, presented the Evangelical Lutheran church with a whole new perspective: human first, Christian second…

Photography by: Finn Beales / Penelope Sloom / Olga Kuzminskaya / Valentina Solano / Sebastian Grote

 

 

Comment on this article

Studio Ho, Parklaan 8, 2011 KV
Haarlem, The Netherlands

Mobile phone Studio Ho
+ (31) 06 54977949

E-mail address Studio Ho
info@studioho.nl